The 503Five is an 18 month residency supported by the Carne Trust and Orseis Trust offering writers the opportunity to find their creative home at Theatre503, develop work and experience being at the heart of a new writing theatre. This scheme is designed for writers who have developed their craft to a high standard but are not yet professionally produced.
We define “professionally produced” as a full-length play of more than 65 minutes that has produced professionally for 4 weeks or more in any theatre.
The residency will offer writers a seed commission of £2,000, a series of masterclass workshops, peer to peer support, industry connections, R&D processes, dramaturgical support, and opportunities to have work staged.
Whilst this opportunity is open to writers across the UK, Theatre503 is based in South London the hope is that the participants would be willing and able to regularly be at Theatre503 throughout their time on the 503Five. A contribution towards expenses may be available for travel to London during the residency, which can be discussed once an offer has been made.
The 503Five Alumi are: Aisha Zia, Beth Steel, Brad Birch , Brian Mullin, Charlene James, Chloe Todd Fordham, Chris Hogg, Chris Urch, Ella Greenhill, Gemma Langford, Jon Brittain, Lou Ramsden, Mahad Ali, Neasa O’Callaghan, Nimer Rashed, Rex Obano, Richard Marsh, Ross Willis, Vinay Patel and Yasmin Joseph
We intend to continue to explore digital engagement where possible to widen access, while balancing the need for in person engagement once it is safe to return to our theatre. To make you aware Theatre503 operates from the middle floor of a Victorian building that we do not own. We are having ongoing conversations with our landlords about how we might be able to make our venue more accessible but currently there is no lift access to our office and theatre. There is also a plan to move our administrative offices to an accessible building by the middle of 2023. To access our space presently:
We would like to assure all applicants that any specific access issues can be discussed in advance, and as far as possible will be addressed should you accept a place on the residency.
If you have any questions please contact us at 503Studio@theatre503.com
Deadline for applications is 12 noon on Monday 15th March 2021
Please follow these instructions carefully:
1. Please download and fill out this Application Form
2. Go to Submit a Script
3. Select 503Five in the ‘Type of Submission’ drop down menu and complete all the relevant sections. You can ignore the request for number of pages
4. Attach the completed form
5. Attach an idea for the full length play you’ve always wanted to write which would be the basis of your seed commission.
6. Attach a sample of your work – this should be 10 pages which you feel shows your writing at its best. This should be different from the play you’d like to write (see above). We may also ask for a longer sample of work at later stages in the application process
7. Please complete the equal opportunities form.